Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Cooking Tools That Rock: All-Clad Measuring Cups and Spoons and Spoons

My lovely, lovely sister gave me another gift card to Williams Sonoma recently, and I went on a very fun shopping spree! I spent over an hour in the store, and *still* forgot that I wanted to get a hand torch for brulee. Oh well. I'm sure there will be a next time.

One of the amazing items I picked up was a new set of measuring cups. I've been married for over 10 years, and don't do massive amounts of cooking, but have still managed to break no less than THREE measuring cup sets. My first set was cheap plastic. I graduated to stainless steel cups after that, and STILL broke two different sets. Usually I break off the handles. I've also managed to stab holes in the cups with knives...how, I'm not quite sure!

A few months ago, when my sister gave me another gift card, I splurged on a set of All-Clad stainless steel measuring spoons. They're absolutely fantastic. They are a very high-quality stainless steel, very solid and a good weight. The set I have is round and very deep, and all of them, EVEN THE TABLESPOON, all fit into standard size spice jars!

When I went back to Williams-Sonoma this time, I decided that I was going to just spend the money on the All-Clad measuring cups as well, since I was so happy with the spoons, and had just broken the handles off two more cheap measuring cups. I've been using them for a couple of months now, and am very happy with them! They have riveted handles that I doubt I will be able to break off, are a wonderful weight that feel great in your hand, are very stable on the counter top, and clean up nicely. I look forward to cooking and baking so that I can use them!

(I will admit that I also have a collapsible silicone set that another sister purchased for me, but I think they're harder to clean, and are not as stable on the counter...so they usually stay in the drawer.)

Actually, while drooling over the store, I realized that I could buy a box with both a set of the measuring cups and another set of measuring spoons, for just $9 more than the set of cups alone. The set of cups is $30, and the spoons are $16, but a set of both is $39.00. Because I am lazy efficient, and don't want to have to pause to wash out measuring spoons during a cooking and baking marathon, I decided to just go ahead and purchase the set. So now I have one set of the measuring cups, and two sets of the spoons. Bliss!

Actually, the specific measuring spoons are actually exclusive to Williams-Sonoma. The spoons I purchased look like this:


The spoons on Amazon are more round:



Because of the fitting-into-spice-jars feature, I'd much prefer the style at Williams-Sonoma.

And the measuring cups...they're so pretty!


All-Clad also makes an "odd-size" set of measuring cups with 1 1/2 tablespoons and 2 tablespoons, and then a 2/3, 3/4 and 1 1/2 cups. I suppose that some people would be interested in these sizes; I'd probably just get them confused with my other measuring devices, so I don't think I'll be splurging on them any time soon.

Please, do yourself a favor: If you are going to buy measuring cups or spoons, get quality! These are fantastic. My rating: 5 stars

2 comments:

malia said...

thanks you so much for stopping by YOT and adding me to your bloglines. it made my day. and now you arte making me want a new set of measuring cups (-:

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

I so agree with u and love the quality too:-)))

Am also here to tell u something interesting!!!

SUper giveaway at this link...psst psst, am sure u love LE CRUESET ,dont ya?
Well its jus one of the goodies u can chose:-))))

http://brightmorningstarsfoodie.blogspot.com/2010/04/my-1st-sunshine-giveaway-thanxxx-aton.html